Maybe you have grown tired of your Recreational Vehicle (RV) or there’s some other reason for which you plan to sell it. For whatever reason you decide to sell your RV, you need to make it legal with an RV bill of sale. This document is specially created for the sale of this vehicle.
Table of Contents
RV Bill of Sale
When do you need RV Bill of Sale?
Simply stated, an RV bill of sale is an official document that proves that a transaction involving an RV has taken place between two parties, you and the person who wants to buy your vehicle. This document facilitates the transfer of ownership of your RV to the buyer.
As a seller, it’s important to use a bill of sale for RV purchase. This ensures that you have an official document to protect yourself and the buyer. The document mentions that the buyer agreed to pay a certain amount for the vehicle and to buy the same in its current state.
What should you include in a bill of sale?
You and the buyer must first confirm that the details in the RV bill of sale are completely accurate before affixing your signatures. After signing, you should both get a signed copy of the document. The same thing applies if you sell other kinds of vehicles and create a document for them like a camper bill of sale or a travel trailer bill of sale.
Whatever kind of vehicle you’re selling, the document you prepare for the transaction will only become valid after you and the buyer have signed it. Generally, a bill of sale contains the following details:
- Your complete name and address (as the seller)
- The buyer’s complete name and address
- Details about the RV like the year, model, make, VIN, body style, and manufacturer
- An “As- Is” clause
- The agreed-upon sale price
- The odometer readings
- The date and time of your transaction
- The state, city, and zip code where your transaction took place
Bill Of Sale For RV Purchase
The process of selling an RV
Now that you have a general idea of what a recreational vehicle bill of sale form is, you might want to learn how to sell your RV. Here are the steps for selling your vehicle the right way:
- Prepare your RV for sale
To command a better price, it’s best to have your RV repaired, and cleaned before you take photos for advertising. You can hire the services of a professional cleaner to help make your RV as clean and presentable as possible. After this task, you can now take photos of your RV, preferably with a high-end smartphone or a professional camera to capture both the exterior and the interior of your vehicle.
- Have your RV appraised
If you have no idea of how much the value of your RV is, you can have it appraised by one of the dealers in your locale. Then compare this price online with other RVs like it. This gives you a general idea to use when negotiating with potential buyers.
- Think about how you will go about the sale of your RV
You can have several options on how to dispatch your RV. You can sell it to a dealer, post advertisements online or place a sign on your RV’s window and drive around a high-traffic street. You can also use a combination of these methods.
- Gather the paperwork you need and start negotiating
When you have attracted potential buyers, they would like to take a look at the vehicle. Typically, this is where your negotiations begin. The buyer will ask questions like the condition of the RV, what repairs they would have to do if any, if it’s okay to have the RV inspected by a third-party mechanic.
If other RVs of the same model go for the same price you offer, this usually indicates that the buyer knows where you’re coming from. Upon reaching an agreement on the purchase price and terms of payment, you can now create the bill of sale.
- Complete your sale
When you and the buyer have reached a deal, it is now time to move the transaction along. For this, you need the Certificate of Title, and the Past, and Current Registration Documents. As for the buyer, all they have to bring is the payment.
- Signing the bill of sale
When you have both brought your responsibilities to the closing, you can sign the bill of sale. It’s recommended that both of you ask for copies of each other’s driver’s license for verification.
Can I write my own bill of sale?
Yes, as long as you want to sell your RV, you can make your own RV bill of sale. While it is advisable to encode this document using a word processor, you can write the details of the document by hand using a clean piece of paper too. Although this might put off the potential buyer.
Camper Bill Of Sale
How do you write a bill of sale for an RV?
You need to have an RV bill of sale if you intend to sell your RV. This serves as the legal document that shows a transfer of ownership. The buyer can also use this document to ask about any tax that they might have to pay on the purchase.
As long as you can include all of the required details found in a bill of sale for RV purchase, you can write your own. Here are some steps to do this:
- Launch a word processing software of your choice.
- Type “RV Bill of Sale” at the top. In the next line, input the date. This should be the date of the sale, so if you’re making the document in advance, leave a space for the date.
- Input the details about your RV along with the “As-Is” clause.
- Indicate the price that you and the buyer agreed-upon. If you have agreed to accept a down payment then monthly payments, make sure to list all of the details in the document.
- Add the contact details of yourself as the seller and of the buyer.
- Add a space at the bottom of the document for both of you to sign.
- Print out two copies of the document so that both you and the buyer get a copy that proves the transaction took place.